Facility Noise & Vibration Monitoring
VivAlarm is a convenient, easy-to-use, noise, ultrasonic noise, and vibration measurement and logging tool for the lab animal research environment.
• Fully mobile, allowing you to measure anywhere in the lab animal space.
• Equipped to measure sounds humans can hear up to 20kHz, ultrasonic noises from 20khz-100khz, above human hearing range and vibration.
• The new logging feature enables tracking of overall power levels, peak frequencies, and vibration levels every second for days or weeks at a time.
• The literature shows that ultrasonic noise and vibration can produce stress in animals and can have major confounding effects on study outcomes.The Guide references noise, including ultrasonic noise and vibration, as a “should” statement, requiring attention by facility personnel (e.g., in Chapter 5, pg 149-150.).
• With VivAlarm Mobile, vibration and noise can easily be monitored. Knowing what your animals can feel and hear makes understanding the harms of noise and vibration possible. VivAlarm is a convenient, easy-to-use, noise, ultrasonic noise, and vibration measurement and logging tool for the lab animal research environment.
• Built-in software overlays show the hearing range of the species in your vivarium, making it simple to know if your animals can hear what you measure.
• VivAlarm Mobile software is PC compatible. Requires a PC laptop or tablet with USB port.
1/4″ specialized microphone, accelerometer, mobile acquisitions module, custom PC software designed to log and display data specifically in the animal research environment, acoustic calibrator”
- 2005, Turner, J.G., Parrish, J., Hughes, L.F., Toth, L.A., & Caspary, D.M. "Hearing in Laboratory Animals: Strain Differences and Non-Auditory Affects of Noise." Comparative Medicine, 55, 12-23.
NOISE AND VIBRATION SERVICES
Noise & Vibration Consulting & Monitoring Services for Animal Facilities
Turner Scientific brings 20 years of experience with noise and vibration in animal facilities to work for you as the first full-service firm focused on noise, ultrasonic noise and vibration. Turner Scientific is proud to provide a multitude of services, including the following:
Noise and vibration consulting for new construction or remodels
On-site noise and vibration measurements
24-hour monitoring services for sensitive models or during construction
Specialized equipment for sale or rent
VivAlarm 24-hour noise data can be sent directly to Turner Scientific for monitoring and analysis and for alerting relevant personnel at your institution.
Why should this matter to you?
Noise, ultrasonic noise, and vibration are present in all research animal facilities and laboratories. These acoustic and vibratory stimuli have been associated with changes in breeding and behavior, as well as a number of other physiological effects involving cardiovascular and stress pathways (see Turner et al, 2005 for a review). The result is that such stimuli can be confounds for ANY area of biomedical research using animal models because they add variability to measurements, resulting in greater statistical ambiguity in our research and the need for more animals.
We recommend that every animal facility measure noise, ultrasonic noise and vibration at least annually, anytime new equipment or construction is introduced, and anytime facility or research personnel see unexpected changes in breeding, behavior or health. Especially sensitive models or work that could be impacted by noise and vibration should use our 24-hour monitoring service. Facilities need to begin measuring and controlling for noise, ultrasonic noise and vibration with the same care that is given to light, water, food, and air quality.